Onboarding with us
We have a clear and comprehensive onboarding programme that’ll quickly bring you up to speed with end-point assessment (EPA) and our approach.
We’ll also assign you an Relationship Manager who’s an EPA expert. They’ll support you throughout your journey.
Our onboarding programme features a series of webinars, giving you all the knowledge that you need for a successful EPA experience.
The webinars cover:
- EPA back to basics
- Our approach to EPA
- System guides
- Reading an assessment plan
- Making the most out of our guidance documents.
You’ll have access to our online platform where you can register apprentices for EPA, read our guidance documents and set up your users.
Once you’re on board and delivering the on-programme element of the apprenticeship, you’ll have access to a range of expert support including:
- Standard-specific guidance documents, giving you clear details about the EPA and vital information for apprentices
- Regular reviews with your Account Manager to discuss any queries, including advising on best practice, helping with assessment plans and informing what an EPA looks like in practice
- Our helpdesk, to quickly answer any queries you have.
The Gateway process sits between the on-programme delivery and the EPA. It’s a major milestone showing that the apprentice, employer and training provider are in agreement that the apprentice is ready for the EPA.
Each standard has a different set of Gateway requirements which can include:
- Completing a portfolio of evidence
- Achieving mandatory qualifications
- The apprentice’s signature, confirming they’re ready for the EPA
- Completing the Care Certificate (for Care and Health standards).
Check the assessment plan for each standard on the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education’s website for more information.
Our guidance documents can help you prepare for Gateway, covering how we’ll assess the EPA and tips for putting a portfolio together.
Once your apprentice is ready for Gateway, you’re then able to use the online platform to upload the relevant evidence and submit them for EPA.
We’ll review the Gateway evidence and get in touch to confirm the outcome, in line with our service-level agreement (SLA), and book in the EPA.
Search for our qualifications
EPA tips for success
We’ve put together some advice for delivering EPA:
- Get familiar with the standard and assessment plan
You’ll find this on the Institute for Apprenticeships & Technical Workshops website. This is the blueprint for the entire apprenticeship programme. It details the on-programme learning that must happen, and the format and grading criteria of the EPA.
End-point assessment organisations (EPAO) will have extra guidance documents, but the standard is the most crucial document for the apprenticeship and EPA delivery.
- Plan for the EPA from the start of the apprenticeship delivery
The EPA is a crucial part of the apprenticeship standard and is a distinct assessment process. The EPA must be separate from any on-programme delivery and has very specific assessment requirements.
- Engage with us as your EPAO as soon as possible
We have a great deal of experience in EPA and will be happy to help you. We charge no fees until Gateway, and our comprehensive support package is available as soon as you sign up.
- Make sure the apprentice is aware of the requirements for each assessment component and is comfortable with them
Use the guidance documents we provide to run mock assessments.
- Make sure the employer is aware of the EPA requirements
You should use our guidance documents and webinars for this, and share them with the employer and the apprentice.
- Understand timescales
Apprentices must register on the SEPA platform 90 days before they’re due to go through Gateway. Once you request EPA, we’ll take 4 working days to validate evidence and the apprentice will complete assessments within 8 weeks.
These timescales are in place to make sure we can deliver high-quality assessments every time.
- Plan EQA visits around the relevant timescales
We must award a standard’s mandatory qualifications before the apprentice enters Gateway.
- Understand the evidence required by Gateway and EPA
Some standards have specific requirements for evidence and may require you to submit evidence by a certain time.
- Keep in touch with us as your EPAO
This is useful if your apprentice is likely to be delayed before EPA.
- Remember your apprentice must achieve English and maths before entering the Gateway and starting EPA
Check the Education and Skills Funding Agency’s guidance to see if your apprentice is exempt.