Spotlight on External Quality Assurance: Jayne Foster
We caught up with CACHE Lead External Quality Assurer (EQA), Jayne Foster, about her role and life at NCFE.
- Tell us about your role.
- I support and manage a team of 14 EQAs across all regions, for EQA allocated centres which offer NCFE CACHE qualifications in the UK, as well as further afield, including the Channel Islands, United Arab Emirates and China. My role involves supporting and coordinating day to day activities of the team, which covers everything from existing centre quality reviews, to new approval visits for those potential centres looking to offer NCFE CACHE qualifications for the first time. I’m involved in recruitment, staff training and ensuring the team follow the correct procedures and policies.
- What does a typical day look like for you?
- No two days are the same, as I have a very diverse role, so I’m always faced with new situations and challenges. I start the day by checking emails and touching base with new EQAs to ensure all is well and answer any queries. Today preparation is underway for the team meeting and internal standardisation event, I also need to organise translation services for an upcoming review and speak to the Subject Specialist Team regarding a bespoke training event.
- What motivates you in your role?
- I love the role I’m working in, as it’s challenging but exciting as the brand and team continues to grow. It’s great to be able to support existing colleagues to flourish and develop within their roles and receive positive feedback from centres. Being part of a great team who work extremely hard to make a difference is really rewarding.
- What are the biggest challenges in your role?
- Time! As the NCFE CACHE qualifications extend and become more popular this has seen the team grow considerably. Giving enough quality time to the new EQA recruits as well as the experienced members can be a challenge. However, another Lead EQA has just been recruited, so begins another exciting chapter.
- What opportunities are there currently in the EQA team?
- We are presently recruiting for an EQA in the midlands area following an internal promotion and we have another two roles in the south. We have also been recruiting for Flexible EQA roles which will support the CACHE EQA team, especially at those busy times when centres are looking to certificate learners, for example July/August.
- Why do you enjoy working for NCFE?
- It’s great to be part of this fantastic company that puts a real focus on the learner and supports them to achieve and advance their learning. NCFE has a strong support network for remote workers, involving them in all business updates and events.
- What’s the best thing about working at NCFE?
- It’s the feeling that you are involved in supporting learners to really engage and achieve in high quality qualifications that will really make a difference to their lives and in turn to others.